Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Visit from the Lunch Fairy!


Day 2: I wish...

Dear Shark Tank,
Please find a brilliant entrepreneur to invent some kind of humane "stun gun" which would mercifully allow young children to sleep past 7am. It would be much appreciated and I can guarantee mind-blowing success and billions of dollars.
Sincerely,
Every Mom in the World
 
 
Breakfast: I had my lovely breakfast casserole again today with a big bowl of berries and a cup of “beach coffee”. It was so pretty. So colorful.

There’s a chance I was shoving mouthfuls of it mindlessly into my face while I packed Buggie’s lunch and balanced Squish on my hip while singing a song about horsie rides and explaining why wearing rain boots and underwear is not an appropriate look for school. I’m not sure I tasted much of it. But if I had I know it would have been delicious.

Lunch: The best thing about cooking big meals at night is the blessed LEFTOVERS the next day! I absolutely hate making lunch for myself. If I had one wish in the world, it would be to have a lunch fairy who would come in while I’m putting the boys down for naps and make me yummy lunches. Seriously. Ok, maybe I’d wish for more wishes first but this would DEFINITELY make the top of the list. So today for lunch I tossed some kale in a pan with apple cider vinegar and put some of the leftover meatballs on top. It was seriously good!

 
Dinner: This little gem was one of my favorite recipes even before I started this Whole 30 thing. I don’t know if you guys like Gina’s recipes from skinnytaste.com, but I love her! I have used her site for years and I’m a big fan. This recipe literally takes 2 minutes to prepare. You throw chicken thighs in the crock pot with fresh salsa (read your labels if you buy it!), garlic powder and cumin. Let it cook for a few hours and then shred it up! I served it to the boys in tortillas like soft tacos but I made mine a salad with avocado and tons of lime. Sooooo good.
 

Here’s the recipe:


So far I’m feeling great! I haven’t been craving any sugar yet but you know, it’s only been like 48 hours. Break-ups take time to process. I know I will need time to heal and move on once I’m feeling the loss.

 Day 3: If you need me I’ll be under a rock.

 Oh. My. Gosh. I’m tired. I’m tired and I’m freaked out that this is my body’s response to the lack of sugar and carbs. It’s like my limbs are rebelling against me. I have heard that sugar is more addictive than cocaine but who knew the detox would make me feel like a zombie?? I know this too shall pass but it’s going to be a rough chasing-my-kids-around-our-world day.

Breakfast: Still going strong on the casserole and fruit in the morning and it’s great! I actually ate sitting down this morning with Squish in my lap while reading a book to Buggie and begging him to “take one more bite of eggs right now, please.”

What is it with preschoolers and eating? It’s like trying to wrestle an octopus to get him to put a bite in his mouth. Some of you mommas out there are like, “he’ll eat when he’s hungry”… but the kid is so skinny I’m concerned he’ll evaporate during the night if I don’t force-feed him. So we coach him through every single meal and even set a timer sometimes since we would rather he didn’t graduate from high school with tonight’s broccoli on his plate.

We took a field trip up to Daddy’s office today because it was beautiful and glorious outside and we get approximately 3 of those days here in Texas. I packed a lunch for Buggie but just took a little snack for me since I wasn’t terribly hungry. Good thing I did, too, because by the time I got home and got them both down for naps it was past 2 and I was starved!

 

Lunch: Praise God for leftovers again. I put the shredded chicken over avocado and greens with tons of lime juice. Perfect, yummy and filling!

 Dinner: It was a crazy evening tonight so I threw together a roasted chicken breast over sautéed kale and mushrooms. I used a little balsamic vinegar on the greens and microwaved a sweet potato.

 


Then I settled down on the sofa after the kids were asleep and Hubby was out on an errand and watched a mindless show on TV with my dinner. It was peaceful. Quiet. It’s so crazy that life was always like this before we had children. I often think...what in the world did I do all day?? I remember a lot of movie nights and coffee dates and long walks with Hubby. But then I remember that tonight while I rocked Squish to sleep he put his little hand up to my lips and smiled like he had just won the lottery. And all the moments “before” were just leading up to this big, beautiful crescendo of our lives. And at the end of the day, this is REALLY my theme song. Their voices. Their laughter. Their joy. And the BLISSFUL sound of them sleeping.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment