Sunday, May 10, 2015

Days 10-14: Evil Temptations!!


Day 10: It’s Wednesday morning over here and I don’t know about you, but I woke up thinking, “NO CASSAROLE TODAY!!” It’s time for something new and fun. I found a recipe on a blog a couple of weeks ago for a very yummy looking smoothie. Before I post the recipe I will add in a few quick warnings:

Hard-core Whole 30ers do not always cheer for smoothies as a regular breakfast because they are usually heavy on the fruit, so consume with caution, people! I added mostly spinach and then used frozen berries in mine. I left out the orange juice and scaled back on the amount of almond butter. It was really yummy! It was very filling and I loved that I could eat breakfast while running around after the kids… no sit-down required!
http://atransparentlife.com/2012/03/13/breakfast-smoothie-extraordinaire-a-la-whole30/


Lunch: We had a playdate this morning at the museum with some of our favorite friends, and I packed Buggie’s lunch for him but forgot a snack for myself. By the time I got home and got the boys down I was REALLY wishing for the lunch fairy, and luckily I had just enough turkey chili left over to fill me up, along with some raw veggies and a handful of grapes. Lunch: Check.

 


Dinner: Tonight I was craving some red meat! I found a delicious-looking recipe for Carne Assada and had just enough time to let the meat marinate for a few hours. This recipe calls for some avocado/tomatillo salsa, but I was rushed today and didn’t have time to make that part. It was still delicious when I served it with potatoes, sautéed mushrooms in balsamic vinegar and some fresh peppers!


 
Here's the original recipe:
 
Yes, yes. Her picture is far prettier than mine.
 
Day 11: Hubby came home from work sick today, which meant I needed to make a quick exit with the boys so he could take a nap for a few minutes. I was grateful for my smoothie this morning that I poured in a thermos and toted along with us on our morning adventures! We headed to the library and checked out every book imaginable about under-the-sea-creatures. Sometimes when you’re three, you need to see 11 books about sea anemones until you’re satisfied.

Lunch: I took Buggie and Squish to Chick-fil-A today. (Cue the dramatic music). I love Chick. I love the grilled nuggets and the fries and the sauce. It was my first time to really venture out and stick to this Whole 30 thing and I was nervous. I ordered Buggie his usual and then scanned the menu for something I could eat. I ordered their Grilled Market Salad and asked them to hold the cheese. It has grilled chicken and berries all over it. I couldn’t have any of the dressings because they all have added sugar (come on, Chick! Get with the times!) but it was actually really good by itself!  I decided that I will probably be that weird girl who carries dressing in my purse from now on. It’s ok to point and laugh.

 

Dinner: This was one of my favorite meals so far! I get the Rachel Ray magazine every month, and while some of her recipes are full of pasta and cheese and all those other sins, I found a couple that I could use this month! I couldn’t find this particular recipe on-line so I took a picture of it from the magazine. I followed it almost exactly, except I swapped chicken broth for the white wine and obviously didn’t include the feta.

 

Day 12

Breakfast: I was in the mood to try something WILD for breakfast, so a few days ago I found this recipe for cinnamon apple “porridge” and thought I’d give it a try! I soaked all my almonds, cashews and walnuts along with the coconut over night, and then this morning I just threw it all together. It was SO YUMMY! It was warm and filling and juuuusssst right (get it, Goldilocks?). It takes a little bit of prep but Buggie was at school this morning so it was no big deal. It made a ton so I imagine I’ll be eating on this for a few days.

 



Lunch: After we picked up Buggie from school and I put both the boys down for snoozes, I threw together this super yummy salad. I put a package of water-packed tuna over greens, and then added slivered almonds (I’ve had a lot of nuts today… hope I haven’t gained 3 pounds), strawberries, avocados and topped it with olive oil and lemon juice. It was a winner, folks.




Dinner: FIRST WHOLE 30 FAIL!! Oh, this was disappointing, people. I found this recipe for a bacon-wrapped Kalua pork roast that cooks in the crock pot all day. First of all, finding bacon with no sugar added is like finding the holy grail, so God-speed on that one. Second, the recipe says it’s supposed to cook for 12 hours! Yah. That requires forethought that doesn’t happen in this house. So here’s the recipe, and my good luck to you in making it turn out better than I did. Ours was VERY dry. The boys soaked theirs in barbeque sauce but I was out of luck. I had to use my sweet potato and artichoke as buffers just to get the protein down. This one was not my best work, folks.

This is what it was SUPPOSED to look like in the end. I won't post the gory details of my own finished product.
 

Day 13: Travels!

We are headed out of town for a little one-night trip to my family’s house in Ft. Worth today! Hubby’s parents (whom I love too much to put into words) bought us tickets to see Newsies tonight in Dallas! NEWSIES, people!!! Only my favorite movie of all time turned into an on-stage production of dance and song and complete happiness. I can hardly handle how excited I am about this.
Breakfast: I scarfed down a bowl of my “porridge” as we loaded up the car. I felt so full afterwards I was uncomfortable. Note to self: you don’t need much of this stuff. It sticks to your ribs.

Lunch: My precious parents grabbed lunch for us at Corner Bakery so it would be all ready and waiting when we got there. I ordered their salad with the apples and walnuts and chicken… hold the cheese. I threw on some olive oil and lemon when I ate it and it was yummy! Look at me, winning when I eat out and all!

Dinner: This was a monumental evening because it was our first night out since Squish was born! I know, I know. Pathetic. But going out takes planning and energy and mascara, and I just have not had the time or desire to go there just yet. But I was so excited to head out tonight! We ate at a Mexican food place in Dallas. Here came temptation #2 (the first one being the FRIES from Chick-fil-A a few days ago!). I love chips. Like, I really love them. I wanted to eat them as I watched everyone dig in around the table. My justifying thoughts went like this:

“I mean it’s more of a social obligation than anything! I think I should make an exception!”

“I’m just being rude now. They’re going to think I’m too cool for school.”

“I’m going to have to be really specific with my order and that nice waiter is going to think I’m a freak!”

“Please take these chips away from my line of sight”

And so on, and so on…

But I made it! Not one chip entered this mouth. I felt like I deserved a medal when we got back to the car. Did I mention they gave us free sopapillas?? And I didn’t eat one, people! MEDAL I TELL YOU!

I ended up ordering a grilled chicken salad and topped it with lime juice. It was filling and yummy and I was perfectly satisfied afterwards. Whew. I did it.

I was sufficiently rewarded with the world’s best musical ever!! It was an amazing show! We had a great time and I’m so glad it was our first-night-out celebration.

 
Day 14: Mother’s Day!

 All of you sweet little mommy’s probably got breakfast in bed today. Not me! All I wanted was an extra hour of sleep, and my amazing Hubby did not disappoint. He got both the boys up and had them playing and happy when I woke up. It was blissful.

We were at my parent’s house this morning, so I didn’t have access to my usual breakfast arsenal. My family orders these INCREDIBLE breakfast burritos from a food truck in Ft. Worth and they will blow. your. mind. But I was a good girl and asked for mine to be egg-only, and when they arrived I took the lonely eggs out of the tortilla and ate them with a side of delicious fruit salad my momma made. The woman can ROCK a fruit salad. She rocks most things.

Lunch: We ended up leaving for home later than we expected, and we were starving half-way through the ride. We decided our only option was to drive through Wendy’s and feed the hungry hippo in the backseat. I ordered a plain baked potato and a small chili. I didn’t know that the chili had beans in it, but it was easy to eat around them. It wasn’t my favorite by far, but it was fine and I was just glad there was something I could eat!
Not my fave.
Dinner: Another Rachel Ray win!! This soup was super yummy. I made it with the shrimp and topped it off with a little coconut milk and it was smooth and delicious. Definitely a favorite!


Again, couldn’t find the recipe on-line, so here’s a lovely pic from my magazine.

 


 
Week three starts tomorrow! I need to sit down and plan my meals and go to the grocery store for heaven’s sake! My fridge is empty. But my belly is not!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment